Sunday, December 1, 2013

My Interior Design Obsession


I am by no means an Interior Designer, however recently, that title has been sounding more and more appealing. It all started when I was shopping for homes in LA (still in progress) and I started imagining what I could do within the spaces. I was completely imagining a house full of furniture and art, it was so amazingly wonderful. Sometimes I would leave my house hunt and go online to look at furniture (a bit premature, but thats okay).
Bedroom (A Sweet Escape) (Indigo/Gold/White)

Growing up I was always into decorations and artsy things so I guess it would make sense that I had some interesting in the way things should look in my home. Some people would call me a perfectionist and I would have to agree. Sometimes being a perfectionist is a blessing and sometimes it is anything but. 

As a student my backpack, binders, and projects were nothing but neat and organized. I always went way above on projects, which I look back now and feel embarrassed for myself, but it wasn’t a bad thing. I always worked hard and was most excited when I got a project to make something like a kimono, a tri-fold board, children’s book, or even a power point presentation on how Disney’s Snow White is filled with freudian imagery. No matter the project I always loved doing them. (One year at High School I wrote a poem about making s’mores and the class had to follow along and make s’mores... it sounds ridiculous now that I say it, but we had to act out a poem so I did S’mores making)

Anyways, I have seem to walk of my train of thought (per usual) and totally gone away from Interior Design. See, I know I want to work in the entertainment business, but I have not a clue as to doing what. I enjoy a lot of things like sound editing, cinematography, wardrobe, and even set design. So in an effort to help myself figure out my true passion, I decided to buy a few Interior Design magazines. I read through all three of them in a day. I was obsessed.

Living Room (A Splash of Color) (Aquamarine/Aubergine/Canary)
I started to go online and look at color schemes and furniture. I fell in love with tufted furniture, especially beds and couches. I started drawing up diagrams of rooms and placing blueprints of the rooms layout. Slowly but surly I was going crazy. 

Along the way I went to one of my FAVORITE furniture sites, ZGallerie, and decided to make a pages document of what my bedroom, living room, and dinning room would look like if I had an unlimited budget (which I sadly do not, but that’s okay). Throughout this post there are some of the snapshots of what I came up with for the rooms. Everything in the photos are on ZGallerie's site except for the chandelier and the bed frame in the Bedroom Photo.

After I finished my hour long home building on ZGallerie I decided that I really loved Interior Design, even if I am no good at it yet. I re-read the interior design magazines and even bought a huge book from Barnes & Noble all about becoming an interior designer. It impressed me and made me feel really excited. 

I want to try interior design by starting with my room at home. On my budget of zero dollars and zero zero cents, this should be fun. I'm actually very excited to completely clean out my room and update it with the sophistication and look that I'm searching for at this time in my life. I believe the room should be an expression of myself and when people walk in they go, 'Yup, that's Kirsten" (unlike my room now, haha). 

Dinning Room (All That Glitters) (Gold/Silver)
As of right now I have no plans to start a career in interior design, however I do love the art. I'm interested in studying and taking some classes in interior design because I am sure that it's a lot harder then it looks. 

If you have any suggestions for good Interior Design reads, or designers, then please let me know in the comment section below. I am always looking for a good read and especially about design. 

Also, if you would like to follow my obsession you can follow me on Pinterest and take a look at my Interior Design, Apartment Ideas, and Dream Home board, along with my DIY, Organization, and all my other boards. I am a frequent and quite binge pinner. haha. 

Well, I hope you enjoyed this post. If you have any questions comments or concerns go ahead and place them in the comment section below. I will talk to you soon.

Always, 
Kirsten Nicole






No comments:

Post a Comment