Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Sisterhood

The word sisterhood is something I never really got to experience growing up. I had only my older brother, and we rarely played Barbies or dress up together. (Although he always seemed to win at Pretty Pretty Princess the game.... hmmm?)

I started University in 2011 after graduating High School and found myself as more of an introvert than I had expected. I was not shy by any means, but I often skipped the stereotypical college parties and hangouts just to sit in my room and watch the entire 10 seasons of Friends for the millionth time. I enjoy people but I’ve always found myself needing my alone time, and sometimes that equals out to more then the time I like to spend out and about.
Image courtesy of Google Search

Living in a dorm (which was more like an apartment) with six girls was... lets just say a handful. I loved each and every one of my roommates so much. There was very few arguments in our house compared to the other girl dorms around us. I finally felt like I had sisters in my life. More then just friends these girls were there in my life 24/7 and I would not take a single second of that year back. We grew to learn so much about each other and ourselves during that first year at University. Between sleepovers in the living room, late night breakfast with Oreo pancakes, and doing each other’s hair and makeup, those five girls were the closest thing I had to having sisters. Each one of us were very different and that’s what made that first year at college probably the best year of my life.

Starting my second year at school I lived with four new women and my best friend from the previous year. This house was way different from the first year at college. We had a two story dorm (townhouse apartment) that roomed six girls once again. Aimee, one of my roommates from freshman year, and my best friend roomed with me again. The other four girls were new to me. I became good friends with two of the other girls but some were distant. My second year at University did not contain the sisterhood that was built my freshman year. Other then my best friends Aimee and one of our new roommates Elisse, the house was not really connected to each other by any means. 

I always grew up thinking that sorority life was just a bunch of drunk girls in skimpy clothes going wild. But being closed minded is not the right way to go about life. I had learned freshman year that I needed to open my mind to new ideas and possibilities. So I dropped all stereotypes that I have heard, seen, or read about. Everything was new and that was exciting.

My best friend Aimee dragged me to a sorority information night to introduce the sororities to all the girls thinking of going out for recruitment. I ended up loving it and decided to go back to actually experience recruitment and try my hand at joining a sorority. Two weeks later I had joined Alpha Omicron Pi. I was unsure at first if this was the right fit for me, but quickly I fell in love. I fell in love with the girls, the rituals, and the sisterhood. 

After an overnight camping trip that all of the 86 new members took, I knew that this was my home. Never before had I been so happy to have a stereotype broken. These ladies are more then just friends, they are my sisters. I have 101 sisters now. There were vampire diaries viewing nights, dinners, socials, dances, sleepovers and more.

Growing up without a single girl my age in my family, neighborhood, etc. it was hard for me to bond with girls. As a kid my best friends were a lot of the times guys. Then as I grew up and made more friends in school I realized the strength and bond of sisterhood. I don’t need a birth certificate to prove a sister. To me a sister is anyone willing to put your needs before theirs. Sisterhood is all about loving each other unconditionally, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I am so proud of each and every one of my sisters. The bond that was built can never be broken. 

Now-a-days I meet women from different sororities all the time. I have noticed that the sisterhood of a sorority is not just subject to the letters on your sweatshirt. Some of the most amazing people and sisters I know are from a different sorority then I, but that’s what makes life exciting. Meeting new people with a common interest that you can grow and connect with. 

If you are like I was, an introvert, scared of Greek Life or people in general, then I challenge you to step outside of your comfort zone. You will not regret it, I promise. I guess to end this forever rambling blog I shall leave you with this; let go of stereotypes (all of them), open your mind, try new things, step outside of your comfort zone, and don’t take a single day for granted. 

To all of my sisters out there
I love you
xoxo

Love Always,
Kirsten Nicole










2 comments:

  1. Love you sister!!!!!!!!! I wish you were coming back this semester, but know that you are always and forever my sisters first and foremost! Miss you and love you to the moon and back! You are an amazing beautiful being! <3 Lauren Dillier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you make me so happy! I love you too. I will for sure be back to visit you all and I may even decide to crash a few days of recruitment. I have to make sure I'll match you all, but I really want to be there. You are so inspirational and beautiful. <3

      Delete