Friday, August 16, 2013

Road-Trip: California to Washington


As you have probably already deduced, I am embarking on my first road-trip since starting my blog. Tomorrow my father and I will be leaving our house in California to drive up through Oregon and end up in Washington. Since I have never been to either Oregon or Washington I am more than elated to road-trip up that way with my dad.

The reason for the trip is actually due to my brother going to college up in Washington. My brother is 22 years old and decided to transfer from an English major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (California) to DigiPen (Washington) in order to study his true passion Game Design. I am so proud of my brother and all that he has accomplished. He is one of my many role models, and I love him so much. It takes a lot of courage and strength to leave something so familiar and good just to end up in an unfamiliar and new place. (Garrett, if you are reading this, I love you!)

photo courtesy of google search
Since my brother is attending school in Washington that means there is A LOT of moving to be done. Today the moving truck was packed with everything from bookshelves to beds and tomorrow my dad and I will be driving 17 hours to reach my brother’s new home. This is an undoubtably exciting time for my brother, however; I feel as though I am more excited at this current point in time. 

My love for traveling and road-trips makes me ever so excited to be driving up through Oregon and Washington. I already have plans to bring my Nikon and Canon on the road to document this trip and I will update my blog with post-road-trip photos and more. 

When I think of Washington I think of Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, and that makes me sad. Yes, I was a fan of the Twilight books and even found myself at some of the midnight showings, but lets be honest, that train is long gone. I dislike the fact that those images of Twilight is all I have in my mind of what Oregon looks like, so I am excited to embark on this road-trip because I get to experience the state for myself, even if it is just from the passenger seat of a moving truck.

photo courtesy of google search
I have only been in a moving truck once before when I moved houses at the age of six. I remember riding in the truck being very fun until it came to the unloading, thinking of that part makes me exhausted already. Our trip will be slower due to the size and weight of the moving truck, but I’m ready and elated nonetheless. I hope that my dad is still up for some traditional car games because car games are my favorite! Usually my parents and I play a bunch of car games such as; eye spy, punch buggy, the license plate game, and more. We have even started to count the amount of fires and police we pass during our drive as just a tally count survey. (I honestly have no idea why we find that fun, but usually on the road-trips to Disneyland there are a lot of both and the count gets quite large.)

Anyways, I am super excited for this road-trip. First stop tomorrow will be Starbucks, but after that we are off!
If you live or know Oregon or Washington and have any suggestions for places to eat, visit, shop, etc. then please let me know! I would love to visit both states for more then just the one day drive to and from, but we must stop for lunch and dinner somewhere and may be taking some driving breaks so that means that some time will be spent in the surrounding areas. 

Here we go! Road-trip #1!

Love Always,
Kirsten Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment