Monday, August 12, 2013

Independence Day : Film Review

Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, and Aliens! Oh My!

What more could you need from a blockbuster movie? The answer... A lot of things, but I will settle for this due to it being 11 o’clock at night and there being nothing else to watch on television.

Google Search
Director Roland Emmerich’s 1996 Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi flick taps straight into the vein of nostalgia. As a kid, Independence Day was more than a film about aliens fighting for Earth, it was all about the fact that I WAS OLD ENOUGH to watch a PG-13 rated movie!!! Since I was 4 years old when the film came out, I was not able to see the movie until I was at least a teenager. That of course made the graphics and story all the more enjoyable. (hint hint wink wink... SARCASM) Although, I do love the movie! 

Will Smith is more then just enjoyable, everything he has done has brought me to love his work that much more. And can we take a minute to discuss the boy who played Smith’s son in the film? HOW ADORABLE WAS HE?!?! 

Film Trivia: Did you know, the young man who played Dylan (Smith’s Son) in Independence Day also played one of the most iconic child film characters of all time? Ross Bagley (Dylan) also played the character Buckwheat in the classic film, The Little Rascals.

Anyways, where was I? Oh Yes! Will Smith’s performance in this flick is top notch as well as co-star Jeff Goldblum. With Goldblum (pronounced Gold-‘bloom’) there is just something about his quirky characters and his awkward speech rhythm that gives you the feeling that you have known his character all along. Maybe he is your best friend, or your brother, your father, any way, I love his character to the Moon and back... oh... too soon? (not really a spoiler alert: aliens were from the moon in this film)

In the end, this movie knows how to get me hooked in. I even end up watching it on television sometimes and deal with the commercials because I have misplaced my copy of the DVD. (Although I would always advise watching the DVD version over TV even if you DVR because television cuts out half of the funny lines to fit the commercial breaks.) If I were to rate this movie out of a 10 star rating I would give it an overall 7 star rating due to it’s ingenious script, a-list cast, and horrible graphics(which at the time were pretty spiffy).

Overall Rating: 7 out of 10

Love Always,
Kirsten Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment